It’s been 9 months since the release of the latest versions of my Courier utilities. I’ve decided that it’s time to remove the release candidate status from their version numbers. That’s the only change, no code has been touched in any of the utilities.
These patches now include version 20050329 of Frederik Vermeulen’s netqmail-1.05-tls patch. Get them here.
It’s been over a week and it looks like I’ve killed the bug dead. The patches now handle temporary and permanent errors the way they should. If you’re using older versions of either of these patches, I very strongly encourage you to update your systems with the latest version. Get them here.
It has been brought to my attention that there is a serious bug in these two combination patches. The bug can result in mail being lost in the event of a temporary (400 series) error occuring during mail delivery to a remote server. The bug can also prevent non-delivery notifications from being sent to the sender when a permanent (500 series) error occurs. These problems occur only when smtp authentication is not used when sending email. Receiving email is not impacted. Older versions of these patches may also be affected but I haven’t tested them to be sure. I’m currently testing new versions of my patches that correct this bug. If you are using any version of the qregex patch, then you’re safe. The bug only impacts my combination patches. If you want to help me test the fix, drop me a line.
I’ve upgraded to BIND 9.3.0 and I’ve fixed a few minor discrepancies between my document and my actual setup.
I’m now using version 4.07 of Stunnel. I’ve also made some small changes to my configuration.
These patches have been updated with version 0.5.7 of Erwin Hoffmann’s qmail-smtpd-auth patch. ESMTPA is now reported in Received headers when smtp authentication is used.
I’ve rewritten my utilities to work with the new Courier authentication library. As such, these versions won’t work with Courier software that doesn’t use the library; that means nothing below Courier 0.48, Courier-IMAP 4.0, or SqWebMail 5.0. Try them out and let me know how it goes. Just follow the Downloads link to find them.
If you use either of these utilities, you’ll be happy to know that I’m working on versions that will work with the new Courier authentication library that Sam Varshavchik has recently released. If you’re interested in helping me test them, drop me a line. You’ll find my email address on the Feedback page.
These patches now include James Raftery’s canonicalised-recipient-logging patch. I also noticed that the qmail-remote_authenticated_smtp patch prevents qmail-remote from logging the results of an smtp conversation when authentication isn’t used. I’ve modified the patch to allow qmail-remote to do it’s normal logging. See the patch for more details.